Saturday, August 04, 2007

The 90 Day Challenge - Day 4

Everyone,

Today’s experience has guided me to a moment of acknowledgement for the clarity gained thus far in this process.

I gathered up all of the outstanding bills and letters on my desk, and when done, realized that I had a stack about 3 inches thick. I thought, wow, how can I find the strength to confront all of this?

As I began sorting through, I realized that a large portion of the stack was duplicate material that had been forwarded to me. When I finally sorted the material by creditor and date, it became apparent that only about ½ inch of paper was currently relevant. All of the older duplications were then tossed.

As I called each creditor, it became more and more apparent that they were happy to accommodate my inquiries, and look forward to assisting me in resolving each item. As the day progressed, I sat down and created a spreadsheet of open accounts and amounts due, and found that I have a much brighter financial picture than I have given myself credit for. All in all, the total amount of debt is so much less that I had made up in my mind looking at the 3 inches of paperwork prior to starting the process.

Having made that realization, I began to think about all of the situations in my life that I conjure up thoughts about, and make more serious than they actually are, because of an inability to confront a situation and take a clear look the bottom line basics. I learned a valuable lesson yesterday – that all of the speculation and fears in my mind are just a way of keeping me from the actual acknowledgement of truth lying beneath, which is never as dire as I think. [Funny how I never really though of myself as a drama queen, but there it is, LOL!]. Once a situation is confronted and light is shed on the subject, it becomes so much smaller (literally) and falls into the realm of being possible to resolve.

There are countless situations in our lives in which we can apply this realization. Let’s take relationship as an example. How many times have we wanted to get to know someone, only to let our minds stop us from moving forward because of our own insecurities? The fact that we are willing to reach out to get to know others can be a wonderful appreciation of our humanity, yet we kill off the impulse to smile or say hello simply because we do not think we are worthy in the moment of being liked. In my own recent experience, I resisted my own “self-talk” and initiated a conversation with a couple of people that I’ve been wanting to get to know, and low and behold, they were as sweet and genuine as they could be and welcomed the opportunity of us getting to know each other better.

Now, under normal circumstances, I might look at this a just coincidence. Yet, at this stage in my life, I am certain that there are no accidents. That situation came into my life as a tool for me to learn that I should not let my personal fears stand in the way of the things that I desire in life. All I need to do is acknowledge my fear, and move forward with my intention without hesitation. The value of being courageous is more valuable than the fear of maintaining the status quo. Yes, a very, very valuable lesson learned.

This leads me to a deeper understanding of the concept of James Arthur Ray’s Harmonic Wealth philosophy. It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that all areas of one’s life work in concert in order to create the symphony of living we all refer to as “being happy”. Let the orchestra play.

1 comment:

brunsli said...

It's so easy to put things we don't want to deal with in big stacks for "later" and let them grow and grow until they become larger than life. So, congratulations for making a molehill out of your mountain!